Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Because I took too long, the World Died

I remember as a child, I'd pick dandelions, taking a deep breathe and blowing the soft feathery pellets. Watching them dance in the air, as if freed from a burden. It felt magical.

I remember laying in the grass, with my arms spread wide, looking up at the enormity of the sky. The greatness of creation and feeling so small and humbled, but knowing somehow that this is love.

I also remember the first rain of the year. At first its quite, and then from no where, drops of rain take over the sky, and fall gracefully to the ground. My eyes staring outside through the glass window, not wanting to sleep, but just staying awake and watching it rain.

Today, stuck in traffic, and the noise of the television. The famine and the wars, the hurricanes, and the earthquakes. Seems nature responds to our humanity towards each other. We've become ruthless. I wish the serenity I feel and the hope for peace that I crave- I could share with the world. If we could look at the child in the eyes, before we bomb entire villages, before we shoot entire families, before our corporations take over other people's lands and resources--- I wish we could all be willing to sleep one night without food in our stomach and feed the rest of the world.

No comments: