Monday, March 23, 2009

Displacement

Red embers flow down my wrists
From cigar ashes like a river of sticks
The cold gnawing at my fingertips
A car window barely cracked
The singer in the background
He doesn't cease, he cannot
Provides me with the chorus
The verse and the song
Prose-poetry, heartfelt and intermingled
He's delivering the Vedas
I'm enraptured
"God will forgive me, but I, I whip myself with scorn."
Driving to a nowhere destination
In my mind
There will come a day when this will all give out
And running dry, the fish in my stream
Will stare blankly up to me, questioning
Hear them screaming for the waters
What they cannot live without
And haven't the strength to search for
In a sea of salt, face down and dazed
Every slight laceration burning
Every little wound cut right open again
I hold myself....silent
Contained, probing, searching
Where have all my fish gone to?
Evaporated, dried up and gone
Left me here with this over abundance of nothing
This pathetic, useless mineral deposit
A hole in the world in place of my old Taoist river
I've lost the flow
And going against is just endless suffering
Being thrown in every which way
"Don't build your world around....volcanoes melt you down."

No comments: