Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Beloved

"I dreamed that the world was crumbling down. We sat on my back porch and watched it."

We picked out our convoluted lives
Stacked them high with all intentions
Best or otherwise
I held your hands in mine
Led you and yours softly down the bank
And one by one ushered you into the rushing current
I watched your faces swell and burst
With excitement, exultation, ruin
And I went about my way
I led others, I followed so long as I had to
And when I needed you
I called you each by name and waited
I took your frigid hands and heaved
But your bloated corpses only floated silently downstream
It seems the one whom God helps, I cannot save
But the ones God forsakes, I take in rapturously
You rush to the waters so boldly
I haste to repeat
And we feel so passionately close
As I slide your hands down my wet skin
And slip away to leave you to the river

"Oh how I want you to know me."

No comments: